Herbed Bacon & Egg Potato Salad – Mayo free summery potato salad with fresh herbs dressed in a simple mustard vinaigrette | Whole30 + Dairy Free + Low FODMAP
Have I ever told you about how I used to love eating mayonnaise sandwiches as kid?
Yes – you read that mayonnaise sandwiches. Sometimes I’d eat it with a slice of plasticky American cheese, but most of the time it was just two pieces of white wonderbread slathered in mayonnaise.
Sometimes I ask myself why my parents ever let me get away with eating something like that, but I’ve been around enough small children to know that kids can be pretty tenacious and downright weird when it comes to food. I was definitely both of those things as a kid. Picky, weird and occasionally stubborn.
Fortunately my tastes have since evolved as I’ve aged. I haven’t eaten wonderbread bread in who knows how long & I like to make sure if I’m eating sandwiches that they’re filled with all sorts of veggies. At the very least I need to eat it with a salad. Gotta get in those greens!
Considering how much I used to love both mayo and potatoes as a kid I was never a fan of the traditional mayo-filled potato salad that made an appearance at every BBQ and church potluck I ever went to. It was just a little too slimy and weird for my adolescent tastes.
Enter scene: my Mayo Free Potato Salad with Herbed Bacon & Eggs
How to Make: Mayo Free Potato Salad
This Herbed Bacon & Eggs Potato Salad is fresh, savoury, and heart made with only 10 ingredients. Fresh herbs, crispy bacon and hearty potatoes dressed in a light mustard vinaigrette. What’s not to love here?
I used new potatoes which are are all over the place this time of year, but you can also use red potatoes for this recipe. I have yet to try it out, but I’m sure sweet potatoes would be great here too!
The real star here is the mustard vinaigrette made up of:
Whole Grain Mustard
& a pinch of salt
It’s simple, fast, and adds a punch of flavour to brighten up the salad. Easy!
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try this No Mayo Potato Salad! We love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page – those are always fun to see!
- 1 1/2 pound New Potatoes or red potatoes, , washed and scrubbed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves, , minced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (green parts only for low FODMAP)
- 6 slices bacon strips, cooked & crumbled
- 1/2 cup | 120 ml olive oil
- 3 tablespoons | 45 ml wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- salt to taste
- Cut the potatoes in half and out them in a pot with just enough water to cover them. Add a pinch of salt and bring the water to a boil, then reduce down to a simmer. Cook the potatoes for about 15 minutes or until tender, but not mushy. Drain the potatoes, and rinse with cold water.
- While the potatoes are boiling add the eggs to another pot. Arrange them at the bottom in a single layer. Cover with an inch of cold water. Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil. Once the water has reached a rolling boil, turn off the heat, cover the pot and let the eggs sit in the hot water for 10-12 minutes.
- Drain the water and run the eggs under cold water to keep them from cooking further. When you're ready, peel the eggs & cut into quarters.
- To make the vinaigrette add all of the ingredients to a jar, cover and shake to combine.
- Toss the potatoes with parsley, chives, green onions, eggs, and bacon. Add the vinaigrette until the potatoes are coated. You will not need all of the dressing. Taste and season with more salt & black pepper as needed.
- You can serve as is or refrigerated it until needed up to a day.