Super simple one pot Taco Skillet packed with veggies, protein, and loads of spice | A perfect, low carb weeknight dinner! Gluten Free + Whole30 & Paleo options – just skip the cheese!
Alright, there is a LOT going on inside this skillet today so let’s get to it!
We’ve got our veggies
Onion & Garlic
We’ve also got our spices
We’ve got one pan, a pound of ground turkey and about 30ish minutes to make dinner.
The great thing about this recipe is that you can customise it based on what you like and what you have in. As long as the spices remain the same you can add/swap out the veggies as you like. I’ve made this quite a few times with little variations here and there adding: grated cauliflower, sweet potato, black beans, sweet corn – you name it.
For this recipe I thought I would keep it sweet and simple using ingredients that you probably already have in. Nothing fancy, but still delicious.
This is also amazing if you have children (or husbands) who are morally opposed to eating vegetables because you can chop up the veggies into little pieces that get hidden in this mix of it all. Once it’s all done you wouldn’t necessarily realise just how many vegetables went in to this making of this taco skillet.
The cheese is completely optional. I personally couldn’t pass an opportunity to sprinkle a little grated cheddar over the top, but make sure to leave it out if you’re looking for a Whole30 compliant or paleo friendly dinner.
I like to eat this served along a little Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice and topped with avocado, but you can also dish this out in actual taco shells – how about that!
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try this Taco Skillet! I love seeing what you make with! You can also post your pictures to our facebook page!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey or chicken, aim for around 7% fat
- 1 medium sized white onion, chopped, about 1 cup
- 2 large carrots, chopped into small pieces, about 1 1/2 cups
- 1 red & green bell pepper, 1 of each
- 1 red chili pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 1 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can crushed or chopped tomatoes, 14 oz can
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- spring onions
- Warm the olive oil in a large skillet on a medium high heat. Once the oil is warm add the ground meat and begin breaking up the meat into smaller pieces to cook faster.
- Once the meat is no longer pink add the onions, carrots, peppers, chili, and garlic. Stir the vegetables into the meat mixture well.
- Add the taco seasonings: chilli powder, garlic power, onion powder, oregano, paprika, cumin and salt. Stir well to mix the spices and vegetables together. Stir in the crushed tomatoes.
- Cover the pan with a fitted lid and reduce the heat down to a medium-low heat. Let the meat and veggies cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cook longer if you prefer softer veggies and for a shorter amount of time if you like your vegetables with more bite.
- Uncover the pan and sprinkle shredded or grated cheese over the top of the meat. Cove the pan one more with the lid for another 2-3 minutes to let the cheese melt.
- Sprinkle green onions and cilantro over the top of the melted cheese and serve.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 218 Saturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 61mg Sodium: 748mg Carbohydrates: 10g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 5g Protein: 25g