Stuffed avocados with tomato and chickpeas tossed in a fresh pesto sauce. A fast, easy, no heat summer recipe | gluten free, low carb
I’m soooo glad my picky eating days are behind me. My kid self would have taken one look at these stuffed avocados and promptly peaced out.
Tomatoes, chickpeas, avocados…all the things that I can’t get enough of now would have made me gag.
Nope. My discerning kid tastes would have probably asked for a mayonnaise sandwich instead – as in two slices of Wonderbread and a generous slathering of mayo. Can you even imagine?
I don’t know when it happened, but thankfully somewhere down the line I realized that picky eating was boring and started trying new things. I once claimed to hate avocados, but thinking back I probably never even tried one. How I ever went through life not knowing the greatness of chips and guacamole is beyond me.
about this recipe
This recipe is fast, easy and thrown together in no time! I’ve been enjoying them as my lunch these past couple of days, but they’re also perfect served as a side or appetizer.
Aside from being straight up delicious, these stuffed avocados are super filling, incredibly flavorful and packed with nutrients. #HealthyFats4Life
Right then. Let’s get stuffing!
Don’t forget to use the hashtag #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try these stuffed avocados – I love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page if you feel like sharing!
- 1 large bunch of basil leaves, washed & stems removed
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 can chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and dried
- sea salt
- 6 avocados
- Add the basil, pine nuts, garlic cloves, and parmesan to a food processor. Blend everything together until roughly chopped and then slowly drizzle in the oil. Continue processing until you reach your desired pesto consistency. Taste and season as you like.
- Add the pesto sauce to a medium sized bowl along with the chickpeas and tomatoes. Mix and coat everything in pesto.
- Slice the avocados lengthwise and remove the pits. Sprinkle the tops of the avocado with a little salt. Spoon the pesto chickpea and tomato mixture into each avocado and serve.
Serving Size:avocado Calories: 276Saturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 196mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 8gSugar: 1gProtein: 6g
On a similar note…