Thick and saucy Tomato & Turmeric Shrimp Curry – perfect for serving over a bowl of rice for a healthy + hearty dinner. Serve over rice cauliflower to make it low carb/paleo friendly!
I don’t know about you but in our neck of the woods we’re apparently about to enter the coldest week so far this winter. Even as I’ve sat here these past few minutes trying to figure out what to say on this chilly Monday morning the snow has gone from a delicate drift down to Earth to fast and furious swirling.
Gorgeous, but straight up f r e e z i n g .
Thankfully we’ve still got some of this Tomato & Turmeric Shrimp Curry leftover to heat up because cozy + nutritious is definitely on the menu today.
So on to the food!
How to Make: Tomato & Turmeric Shrimp Curry
This prep for this curry is pretty minimal – just 10 minutes with the remaining cook time being devoted mostly to simmering with the occasional stir.
Start out by making your tomato/onion ‘slurry’. In a blender, blend together 1 onion, garlic, ginger, and tomatoes into a watery paste. Set that mixture aside for a minute while you sauté your remaining 1/2 onion until soft and fragrant. After about 5 minutes of frying your onion, throw in your curry spices sautéing still another few minutes before adding the tomato/onion mixture along with the coconut milk.
At this point it’s just a matter of letting those flavours simmer and get to know each other making sure to come by and stir the pot every so often. You need to make sure you let it all simmer at least 15 minutes, but the flavours will deepen and develop the longer you cook if you want to let it go longer.
When you’re almost ready to eat, taste the sauce and season with salt and pepper as needed. Add the peeled shrimp towards the end. They only need a couple of minutes to cook through so no rush. Just before serving throw in some freshly chopped cilantro if you’re not averse and then dig in!
Like any curry, this really does need to be served with something to soak up all the sauce. Use cauliflower rice if you want to keep this paleo/low carb, or go for brown rice or maybe even quinoa if that’s more your thing.
Whatever you use – I hope you enjoy!
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try these Tomato and Turmeric Shrimp Curry! We love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
Tomato & Turmeric Shrimp Curry
Thick and saucy Tomato & Turmeric Shrimp Curry - perfect for serving over a bowl of rice for a healthy + hearty dinner. Serve over rice cauliflower to make it low carb/paleo friendly!
- 1 1/2 medium yellow onions (roughly chop 1 onion and thinly slice the remaining 1/2 onion)
- 4 large garlic cloves, crushed, about 1 heaping tablespoon
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 1 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 14 oz can full fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 1 pound shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1/4 cup | or a small handful of fresh cilantro finely chopped
- Place the roughly chopped onion, tomatoes, ginger and garlic in a blender and blend into a watery paste. Set aside.
- Add the coconut oil to a large skillet or pot and warm on medium high heat. When the oil starts to simmer add the sliced onions and fry until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the spices (turmeric, cumin, curry powder, garam masala and chilli powder) and continue to fry the onions another 3 minutes.
- Add the blended onion/tomato mixture to the pot along with the coconut milk. Season with salt and let simmer at a medium heat for at least 15 minutes. Stir occasionally. The flavour will deepen and develop the longer this cooks.
- Taste and season again before adding the shrimp - at more salt and additional spice as you see fit. Add the peeled shrimp and cook until the shrimp is just cooked, about 3-4 minutes.
- Serve with rice (or cauliflower rice for a whole30/paleo friendly meal) and scatter fresh cilantro over the top and enjoy.
Leave a Review!