Simple yet flavourful Broccoli Leek Soup – only 7 ingredients & 30 minutes needed! | Whole30 + Vegan
This is like a hug in a bowl. A simple, soothing, nourishing hug that tastes like winter time bliss.
I mean…I don’t even know what that means, but it feels right so I’m just going to go with it.
How to Make: Broccoli Leek Soup
This soup is crazy simple. It can easily be made in less than 30 minutes and requires very few ingredients :
✔️Salt & Pepper
All you need to do it sauté your leeks and garlic in a heavy bottomed soup pot for a few minutes to enhance those flavours before adding you remaining ingredients. Stir it all up, throw a cover and let those flavours simmer together and get to really know each other as the veggies soften.
Once softened it’s time to puree the soup. The easiest way to do this is by using an immersion blender (<–affiliate link) so that you can blend it all up right in the pot.
If you don’t own an immersion blender – no worries! You can easily do this in a standard kitchen blender with a few more steps. Blend up the soup a cup or two at a time until your done. Please make sure to be careful to not fill the blender too full and to open the blender lid away from you when doing this. When blending hot things the pressure in the blender builds up easily. Too much in the blender might result in a splashing and I think we can all agree here that this soup is much better off in our faces and not on our faces.
Right now Mike & I are in the middle of our Whole30 so I decided to dress this up with a few Whole30 compliant toppings (almonds, red pepper flakes & chives). As much as I enjoy a smooth soup, I alway need to have something with a little more bite to go alongside. Normally though I wouldn’t turn down a healthy chunk of toasted & butter gluten free bread to go along with a soup like this.
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try this Broccoli Leek Soup! I’d love to see what you make with it! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
- 1 tablespoon | 15 ml olive oil
- 2 medium | 350 grams leeks, washed & chopped
- 4 large cloves | 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 large | 450 grams potato, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 large head of broccoli, roughly chopped
- 1 litre 960 ml | vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or to taste (the amount of salt you need will depend on how salty your stock it)
- 1 tablespoon | 15 ml lemon juice optional
- In a large cooking pot, melt the olive oil on a medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the leeks and garlic. Sauté for a couple of minutes to soften, stirring often to keep the garlic from burning.
- Add the potato, broccoli and stock. Stir and mix in the salt. Cover and let simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes and broccoli are fork tender.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Use an immersion blender to process until you reach your desired consistency. Tip: You can also transfer the soup to a traditional blender if needed. Just make sure to only blend the soup and in batches making sure not to overfill the blender open the lid of the blender carefully and away from your face as it will likely be steamy.
- Taste and season with more salt and pepper as needed and serve.
- Top with a sprinkling of almond slices for added texture, red pepper flakes, black pepper, chopped chives and/or a drizzle of olive oil over the top.
- You can also mix in a squeeze of lemon juice to brighten up the flavour if you like.
- For an added cheesy flavour add a couple tablespoons nutritional yeast
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 75Sodium: 322mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 3gSugar: 1gProtein: 3g
If you like this soup you might also enjoy trying our: