Chopped Thai Broccoli Salad with riced broccoli, carrots, red pepper, spring onion and roasted cashews dressed in a simple almond butter sauce | Paleo + Vegan
So we all have probably heard about cauliflower rice by now.
Have you heard of broccoli rice yet?
Not going to lie – it looks a little weird and sounds a little suspect but I am in love and if you try it out I think you will be too.
What is broccoli rice?
If you know what cauliflower rice then it’s basically just like that but with broccoli.
Basically it’s just broccoli that has been chopped, grated or processed down into teeny tiny little rice like sized pieces. It can be used a rice substitute for it’s low carb, high nutrient values.
Since it’s broken up into such small pieces it’s generally makes it a little easier to eat – especially when covered in this tangy, salty almond butter dressing…but we’ll get to that more in a moment.
How to make broccoli rice?
You can go a couple different ways when making this:
a) Use a food processor or blender. Just cut up the broccoli florets and stem into small pieces and then pulse in your machine until broken up.
b) Use a grater. Grate with the larger holes into tiny pieces and that’s it! This method will take a little bit longer but you have the benefit of having less to clean up at the end so it evens out.
How to make: Chopped Thai Broccoli Salad
Once you’re all set with your broccoli rice this salad can be made in about 15 minutes.
Start off by quickly sautéing the broccoli rice with a little garlic and sesame oil for about five minutes to soften the broccoli and add an extra layer of flavour.
While that’s cooking you can start prepping the remaining ingredients:
- red pepper
- spring onions
Chop everything into small little pieces and then move on to your dressing – a simple mix of: sesame oil, lime juice, almond butter and coconut aminos.
When your broccoli is ready to go it’s just a matter of tossing everything together in a large salad bowl.
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try these Chopped Thai Broccoli Salad! We love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
- 1 pound broccoli
- 1 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeds removed and diced
- 1/2 cup spring onions, thinly sliced
- small handful cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup cashews, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons almond butter, can also use peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos*
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- Roughly chop the broccoli into small florets. Wash and peel the outer layer of the broccoli stem and then chop that into small pieces as well.
- Pulse the florets and stems in a food processor or blender until the broccoli is small and grainy and about the size of rice. Depending on the size of your blender or food processor you may need to do this is a few batches.
- You can also grate the broccoli using a box grater using the large holes.
- Heat a large skillet over a medium heat with a tablespoon of sesame oil. Add the garlic and cook for a minute. Add the riced broccoli and sauté another 5 or 6 minutes until the broccoli is tender and hot. Remove from the heat and transfer to a large salad bowl.
- Add the carrots, red pepper, spring onions, cilantro and cashews to the salad bowl and toss to combine.
- In a small cup whisk together the remaining sesame oil, lime juice, almond butter and coconut aminos.
- Drizzle the dressing over the top of the salad and toss again to coat.
- Serve and enjoy.
If using tamari or soy sauce instead of coconut aminos only add 1 teaspoon to begin with. Tamari and soy are much saltier than coconut aminos so you may find that you don't need as much.
Have you tried making/eating broccoli rice yet?