This Curried Chickpea Salad is a medley of crispy, crunchy, creamy textures that’s filling, vibrant and easy to make! Enjoy as a side salad or stuff it in wraps and salads for a healthy and delicious meal. | Gluten Free + Vegetarian + Vegan Options
Another day, another chickpea recipe to fall in love with. How can such a simple legume be the star or so many tasty recipes?
This curried chickpea salad is another one to add to the list! It’s similar to my smashed chickpea salad, but with added spices and herbs for an even more vibrant and healthy dish.
Altogether it can be prepped and made within about 20 minutes – even with all the chopping and smashing involved in the prep. Making this salad really comes down to a few main steps:
- Chop the veggies & herbs
- Mix together the mayo & spices
- Smash the chickpeas
- Mix everything together
And that’s it! Chop, mix, smash and then mix again. Taste and season with a little more salt and pepper as needed then dig in.
A Few Things to Keep in Mind When Making this Curried Chickpea Salad
Make it Vegan
- All you need to do to make this recipe vegan is use a vegan mayo in place a standard one.
- Vegan mayo is fairly easy to find in most major grocery stores but if you can’t find one to buy you can always try making one yourself. I have an aquafaba vegan mayo you can make using the leftover aquafaba from your can of chickpeas!
I don’t like mayo. Can I use something else instead?
- Yes, but remember that subbing the mayo out for something else will change the overall flavour.
- Possible substitutes: plain yoghurt (full fat or non fat), olive oil, avocado or cottage cheese.
How Long Does it Keep?
- Once made, keep this stored in an airtight container in the fridge for about 4-5 days.
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup celery, finely diced, measured and chopping
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely diced, measured and chopping
- 3 spring onions, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped (sub with parsley if you're cilantro-averse)
- 2 14 oz (400 g) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- In a small bowl, mix the mayo mixture together until fully combined.
- In a large bowl, add the chickpeas and mash with a fork or potato masher until chunky and mostly mashed.
- Stir in the the chopped veggies and herbs.
- Add the mayo mixture to the salad ingredients and mix everything together until fully combined. Taste and season with more salt and pepper as needed.
- Enjoy the salad as is or add it to sandwiches or wraps. Keep stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
More Chickpea Recipes
Whether you’re looking for a good, plant-based source of protein, a healthy ingredient to incorporate into every day cooking, or just after a tasty dish, take a look at these easy and delicious chickpea recipes! There are a range of filling meals, soups, salads, dips and desserts to keep you satisfied!