Make this Smashed Chickpea Salad in under 10 minutes with minimal effort! Enjoy on its own as a simple side salad, stuffed in a sandwich or filled into a wrap. Get your filling of protein, fibre, and bright, fresh flavours all in one delicious helping! | Gluten Free + Vegan
In case you need just one more reason to make sure you always have a can of chickpeas stocked somewhere in your kitchen, here you are.
This smashed chickpea salad is a cross between a tuna salad and an egg salad. Admittedly, that probably doesn’t sound too appetising if you’re here looking for a vegan/veggie friendly goodness, but hear me out! Give this recipe a try and you won’t be disappointed!
This has just the right blend of fresh, sharp, creamy and crunchy. It’s good enough to enjoy all on its own, but I recommend serving this as a sandwich between a couple slices of toasted bread. Yum!
A couple of things to keep in mind
Make it vegan?
- All you need to do to make this recipe vegan is use a vegan mayo in place a standard one.
- Vegan mango is fairly easy to find in most major grocery stores but if you can’t find one to buy you can always try making one yourself. I have an aquafaba vegan mayo you can make using the leftover aquafaba from your can of chickpeas!
I don’t like mayo. Can I use something else instead?
- Yes, but remember that subbing the mayo out for something else will change the overall flavour.
- Possible substitutes: plain yoghurt (full fat or non fat), olive oil, 1/2 avocado, cottage cheese, 1-2 tsp dijon mustard.
- With the exception of the mustard you may find that you need to add a little more salt and lemon juice to
Shallots or red onions?
- Either will work here! I used shallots the first couple of times just because they’re what I had in ready to go but I have since made this with red onion as well. The most notable difference (other than the colour) is that shallots produce a more mild flavour whereas red onions are more sharp. Just keep your preferences in mind as you make this and you’re good to go!
More chickpea & bean salads you’ll love:
- Avocado Chickpea Pesto Salad
- Sun Dried Tomato & Cannelini Bean Salad
- Roasted Herb and Lentil Salad
- Roasted Chickpea Kale Salad with a Creamy Tahini Dressing
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try this Smashed Chickpea Salad! We love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
Smashed Chickpea Salad
Make this Smashed Chickpea Salad in under 10 minutes with minimal effort! Enjoy as a salad, stuffed in a sandwich or filled into a wrap. Get your filling of protein, fibre, and bright, fresh flavours all in here!
- 1 14 oz (400 g) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp vegan mayo
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup shallots or red onion, finely diced, measured and chopping
- 1/2 cup celery, finely diced, measured and chopping
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1/2 tsp paprika, optional for serving
- Add the chickpeas to a large bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher until chunky and mostly mashed.
- Add the mayo, lemon juice, salt and pepper to the chickpeas and mix until fully combined.
- Stir in the diced shallot, celery and dill. Taste and season with more salt, pepper and lemon juice as you see fit. Sprinkle a little paprika over the top before serving for a little added colour.
- Enjoy as a side salad or as a sandwich filling. Keep stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Leave a Review!