Make this Smashed Chickpea Salad in under 10 minutes with minimal effort! Enjoy on its own as a simple side salad, stuffed in a sandwich or filled into a wrap. Get your filling of protein, fibre, and bright, fresh flavours all in one delicious helping! | Gluten Free + Vegan
In case you need just one more reason to make sure you always have a can of chickpeas stocked somewhere in your kitchen, here you are.
This smashed chickpea salad is a cross between a tuna salad and an egg salad. Admittedly, that probably doesn’t sound too appetising if you’re here looking for a vegan/veggie friendly goodness, but hear me out! Give this recipe a try and you won’t be disappointed!
This has just the right blend of fresh, sharp, creamy and crunchy. It’s good enough to enjoy all on its own, but I recommend serving this as a sandwich between a couple slices of toasted bread. Yum!
A couple of things to keep in mind
Make it vegan?
- All you need to do to make this recipe vegan is use a vegan mayo in place a standard one.
- Vegan mango is fairly easy to find in most major grocery stores but if you can’t find one to buy you can always try making one yourself. Minimalist Baker has a great vegan mayo you can make using the leftover aquafaba from your can of chickpeas.
I don’t like mayo. Can I use something else instead?
- Yes, but remember that subbing the mayo out for something else will change the overall flavour.
- Possible substitutes: plain yoghurt (full fat or non fat), olive oil, 1/2 avocado, cottage cheese, 1-2 tsp dijon mustard.
- With the exception of the mustard you may find that you need to add a little more salt and lemon juice to
Shallots or red onions?
- Either will work here! I used shallots the first couple of times just because they’re what I had in ready to go but I have since made this with red onion as well. The most notable difference (other than the colour) is that shallots produce a more mild flavour whereas red onions are more sharp. Just keep your preferences in mind as you make this and you’re good to go!
More chickpea & bean salads you’ll love:
- Avocado Chickpea Pesto Salad
- Sun Dried Tomato & Cannelini Bean Salad
- Roasted Herb and Lentil Salad
- Roasted Chickpea Kale Salad with a Creamy Tahini Dressing
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try these Smashed Chickpea Salad! We love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
- 1 14 oz (400 g) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp vegan mayo
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup shallots or red onion, finely diced, measured and chopping
- 1/2 cup celery, finely diced, measured and chopping
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1/2 tsp paprika, optional for serving
- Add the chickpeas to a large bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher until chunky and mostly mashed.
- Add the mayo, lemon juice, salt and pepper to the chickpeas and mix until fully combined.
- Stir in the diced shallot, celery and dill. Taste and season with more salt, pepper and lemon juice as you see fit. Sprinkle a little paprika over the top before serving for a little added colour.
- Enjoy as a side salad or as a sandwich filling. Keep stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Serving Size:1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 94Total Fat: 2gCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 5g