Shirley Temple Cocktails are a sweet and simple, kid-friendly cocktail made with ginger ale, grenadine syrup, lime juice and cherries on top!
Why is it called a Shirley Temple Cocktail?
It’s named after iconic child actress Shirley Temple!
It was apparently made for her to have something special to drink along with her parents and all the other adults while eating out in restaurants.
Ironically enough, Shirley Temple (the person, not the drink) apparently didn’t even like the drink as she found it too sweet.
That being said, the original drink didn’t include any added citrus so it probably was too sweet!
What’s it Made of?
The original Shirley Temple Drink was made with ginger ale, grenadine syrup and maraschino cherries.
Modern day recipes are often made with either ginger ale or lemon-lime soda and usually include added lime juice to freshen things up.
Altogether it’s a super simple drink you can whip up in no time. Since it’s made without any added alcohol it’s totally kid-friendly.
Just make to check your grenadine as some store bought syrups may contain added liquor!
- ice to fill glass
- 1 cup ginger ale or lemon-lime soda (8oz | 240 ml)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (30 ml)
- 1-2 tablespoons (1 oz | 30 ml) grenadine syrup
- maraschino cherries to garnish
- Fill a tall glass with ice.
- Add the ginger ale (or lemon-lime soda) and lime juice.
- Slowly pour the grenadine syrup over the soda then add 1 (or a few) maraschino cherries on top.
- Serve and enjoy!
- If using store-bought grenadine, make sure to double check the label to ensure it's made without any added alcohol.
- Make a Dirty Shirley: add an ounce of vodka or tequila.