This Strawberry Kiwi Gin & Tonic is a sweet and citrusy twist on a classic G&T! All you need is about 20 minutes of prep to make your strawberry and kiwi infused simple syrup and you’ll be all set for crowd pleasing cocktails you can enjoy all season long!
Strawberry Kiwi Gin & Tonic
Combining one of my favourite fruit pairings with one of my favourite cocktails feels like such a no brainer – I’m surprised I haven’t made this years ago!
With warmer weather and sunnier days finally rolling in, these Strawberry Kiwi Gin & Tonics feel like the perfect cocktail to kick back and relax with.
Simple Syrup Prep
Gin and Tonics are so simple and straight forward. All you need to do is add ice to a glass, follow up with a shot of gin and then top with tonic water. The real key to this recipe is the strawberry-kiwi infused simple syrup that transforms this drink.
All in all – the syrup is super easy to make with just a little bit of prep required. To sum it up quickly:
- Peel and dice the strawberries and kiwis as needed.
- Combine water and sweetener in a medium-sized sauce pot and along with the fruit.
- Simmer about 20 minutes. Bring the mixture up to a boil, then reduce the temperature down to maintain a gentle simmer to break up the fruit and infuse all those juices in the syrup.
- Strain out the fruit solids and cool.
- Tip: Don’t press the fruit to get out more juices as you strain. Doing so will make your syrup look more cloudy and less vibrant.
- Enjoy! Use this syrup in gin & tonics, margaritas or even non alcoholic lemonades.
What type of sweetener to use in the simple syrup?
I used honey in my simple syrup because I think it adds a more interesting and complex flavour than standard caster sugar. If you’ve never tried a honey simple syrup for cocktails before – I encourage you to try it out and see for yourself!
That being said you can absolutely use granted white sugar in place of honey. It’s a much more budget friendly sweetener that you almost certainly already have on hand. It’s also a better option if you’re looking for a vegan friendly cocktail.
Use leftover simple syrup in other drinks
This recipe makes 1 cup of simple syrup. You can use it all up to enjoy a fair few Strawberry Kiwi Gin & Tonic drinks OR in a number of other ways. I’ve got my eye on a strawberry kiwi margarita next myself. You can also add it to lemonades or other non alcoholic juices.
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try this Strawberry Kiwi Gin & Tonic! We love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
- 1/2 cup |170 g honey (or white granulated sugar)
- 1/2 cup | 120 ml water
- 4 oz strawberries, stem removed and chopped
- 4 oz kiwi fruit, peeled and chopped
- 1.5 oz | 44 ml gin
- 1.5 oz | 44 ml strawberry kiwi syrup
- 4 oz | 120 ml tonic water
- fresh strawberries, kiwi or limes to garnish
- Add the honey (or sugar), water, strawberries and kiwi to a medium-sized sauce pan. Bring to a boil over a high-heat then reduce the temperature down to maintain a gentle simmer.
- Let simmer for 20 minutes stirring occasionally. The fruit should be broken down and the strawberries will be much less vibrant.
- Pour the syrup through a fine mesh strainer to remove the fruit solids. Discard fruit and transfer the syrup to another container and let cool.
- Fill up a tumbler glass with ice. Pour a shot of gin over the ice followed by a shot of simple syrup. Top up with tonic water and garnish with extra fruit if desired and enjoy.
- If using honey you'll end up with 1 cup simple syrup. If you use granulated sugar you'll end up with 1/2 cup syrup.