This Sweet Shallot Chickpea Salad is a perfect example of how simple ingredients can lead to impressive flavours. It’s bright, tangy, sharp and sweet and can easily be made in a matter of minutes! Simply mince, mix and let your ingredients marinate and transform in this light, yet filling protein packed salad. | Gluten Free + Vegetarian + Vegan Option
How to Make This Sweet Shallot Chickpea Salad
This chickpea salad is very easy to make with few ingredients and little time. Altogether the process can be broken down into a few simple steps:
- Combine the shallots, garlic, lemon juice, honey and olive oil together in a large salad bowl.
- Mix everything together until full combined.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix again.
- Taste, season and enjoy!
Substitutions & Additions
- Shallots >> Red Onions: Red onions will provide a more mild flavour than shallots, but in a pinch they make a great sub for this salad.
- Honey >> Maple syrup or agave: If you need this salad to be vegan friendly you can use a vegan appropriate sweetener like honey or agave. It will change the overall taste slightly but will still work well with these flavours. The sweetener is important to tone down some of the sharper flavours.
- Sunflower Seeds >> Pepitas or Flaked Almonds: Instead of sunflower seeds you can use pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds) or flaked almonds. You can also play around and use another nut of your choice if you’d like or skip the seeds/nuts altogether.
- +More Herbs: Add fresh mint, cilantro or thyme to the parsley for an even fresher salad.
- +Cucumber or Red Bell Pepper: Chopped or finely diced cucumber or red bell pepper would be great additions for an even more fleshed out and veggie packed salad.
More Vegetarian Chickpea Salads You Might Like
- Smashed Chickpea Salad
- Greek Salad With Chickpeas
- Curried Chickpea Salad
- Chickpea Mediterranean Salad with Quinoa
- Roasted Chickpea Kale Salad with a Creamy Tahini Dressing
- Spicy Kale and Chipotle Chickpea and Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
- 1 large or 2 medium shallots, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons | 45 ml lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons | 15 ml olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey (can sub with maple syrup or agave for vegan option)
- 2 14 oz cans | or 3 cups cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup | 35 g sunflower seeds
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, measured after chopping
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper + salt, each
- Mix the shallots, garlic, lemon juice, honey and olive oil together in a large salad bowl.
- Add the chickpeas, carrot, sunflower seeds, parsley, salt and pepper. Mix until fully combined.
- Taste and season the salad adding more salt and pepper if needed.
- Set aside for at least 10 minutes to let the flavours mix together.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Serve this salad as is or over a big bed of greens or grains for a more filling salad.