Mix together your own homemade Gingerbread Spice mix with only a handful of easy to find sweet and aromatic spices! Simply whisk together and keep stored in an airtight container until you’re ready to go. Add a pinch of gingerbread spice to your hot drinks, porridge, smoothies, quick breads, cookies and more!
Tis the season for all things gingerbread!
The Christmas holidays are (nearly) upon us which means it’s time to get your oven preheated and your mixing bowls ready because it’s baking season! And what better recipe to kick things off than this classic spice blend – traditional taste of the holiday season!
What Does Gingerbread Spice Contain?
Like most spice blends, gingerbread spice can vary slightly depending on who’s making it. Some recipes might include coriander, star anise, cardamom and black pepper while other other recipes (like this one) are more stripped back to the basics and made with ground spices.
With this in mind, I decided upon this particular blend of spices because I wanted to keep simple and traditional. This blend is an aromatic mix of ginger with equal parts cinnamon a few gentle hints of nutmeg, allspice and cloves.
- This recipe is made up of only five ground spices that you easily find in most major grocery stores. You may even have everything already in your spice cabinet.
- I looked through the McCormick Gingerbread Spice as the starting point to get the most basic ingredients and then checked out what spices were in other popular recipes. These five spices are the ones that popped up the most which is why you see them in this recipe.
With this in mind, feel free to tweak the ingredients and amounts to make your own gingerbread spice mix recipe personalised to you and your preferences.
Gingerbread Spice Ingredients
- Ginger – What would gingerbread be without ginger? Ginger is a of course a key ingredient in this spice blend. It’s sweet and spicy with a hint of citrus. Ground ginger works as the perfect spice to balance out the more woody flavour provided by cinnamon.
- Cinnamon – Ground cinnamon is the second main spice in this blend. It works in tandem with ginger in gingerbread spice. It’s sweet and woody with warming notes and provides a subtle sweet flavor.
- Nutmeg – Warm and slightly nutty, nutmeg adds a cozy flavor.
- Allspice – Despite the name, allspice isn’t a blend of spice, but one single spice. It gets its name from the fact that it tastes like a combination of several different spices (nutmeg, pepper, cloves and cinnamon).
- Cloves – Ground Cloves can be a love-it-or-leave-it ingredient. They have an intense, almost astringent-like flavour that’s also subtly sweet. A little goes a long way which is great because of the warm aroma it adds is important here.
I recommend that you make a fresh batch of ginger bread spice mix each year. While ground spices do have a long shelf life (about 6 months for best flavor) the taste will fade over time.
This recipe makes about 1/3 cup of spice. Use it up throughout the holiday season and then whip up a new blend next year and enjoy!
Once made, store in an airtight container and keep out of direct sunlight or dark place. Keep stored at room temperature and that’s it!
When to Use this Gingerbread Spice Mix?
There are so many different ways to use this spice! Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Bake with it! Make gingerbread cookies (paleo gingerbread cookies), gingerbread muffins and more.
- Use gingerbread spice blend in place of cinnamon in a variety of baked goods like banana bread or zucchini bread for a seasonal twist.
- Add a pinch of gingerbread spice to drinks: coffee, hot chocolate or even smoothies.
- Throw in a bit of gingerbread spice in porridge, oatmeals and chia puddings. You can also add a teaspoon to your regular pancakes, waffles and/or french toast recipes!
More Homemade Spice Mixes
Homemade Gingerbread Spice
Simply whisk together and keep stored in an airtight container until you're ready to go. Add a pinch of gingerbread spice to your hot drinks, porridge, smoothies, quick breads, cookies and more!
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 tablespoons ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoons ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a small bowl or jar, combine all of your spices and stir together well until everything is combined evenly.
- Keep stored in an airtight container out of direct sunlight and enjoy.
Leave a Review!