Basil Potato & Asparagus Frittata | Perfect for breakfast, brunch, or even when you’re in need of a quick & easy dinner! | Gluten Free + Vegetarian
So I just realised that the last four Monday recipe I’ve shared on here have all been one pan/one skillet one pot dishes which means that this Potato & Asparagus Frittata will fit in just perfectly here.
Easy meals > everything
Technically we’ll still need another small pot to soften out potatoes, but I promise it’s still just as easy!
With Easter coming up frittatas just sound like a good idea. They’re great for entertaining because they can be prepped and made ahead of time, and they’re easy to slice and share around.
First things first, I recommend using a seasoned cast iron skillet or an oven safe non stick pan to make your frittata. You can also use a stainless steal pan, but just know that you’re going to need more oil to keep your eggs from sticking.
Moving on to the ingredients, your list is simple:
Cheese (Parmesan & Goat’s)
Salt & Pepper
That being said, frittatas are really something that you can make your own by playing around with the ingredients. Add in what you like and ditch what you don’t. Have cheddar cheese but not goats? Throw it in. Hate Asparagus? Leave it out.
I personally love making frittata as a strategic way to clean out my fridge of whatever neglected bits & pieces of veg that needs using stat. Throw in a little bacon & season with dried herbs and you’re golden. Much like the top of this Potato & Asparagus Frittata!
I really love this sort of thing when I’m desperate to get dinner done and we don’t have too much food in. It’s ready in about 30 minutes without dirtying too many dishes in the process AND it’s delicious. What more can you want from a half dozen eggs?
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try this Potato & Asparagus Frittata! I love seeing what you make with! You can also post your pictures to our facebook page!
- 1/2 cup | 115 grams potatoes, diced into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1/4 pound | 100 grams asparagus, cut into 1 inch long pieces
- 6 whole eggs
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 oz goats cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Add the chopped potatoes to a small cooking pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook over a medium-high heat for 6-8 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Drain the water and then pat dry.
- Preheat the oven to broil.
- Put a tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet (about 10 inches in diameter) over a medium high-heat. When hot, add the onion. Sprinkle with salt & pepper and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the chopped asparagus and boiled/dried potatoes and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs in a mixing jug. Add in the salt, pepper & parmesan. Pour the egg mixture over the top of the veggies. Sprinkle the goats cheese and the basil over the top of the eggs.
- Let the frittata cook undisturbed for 7-10 minutes, until the eggs are just about set. Place the frittata in the oven about 5 to 7 inches from the heat and broil until the eggs puff and are just set and the cheese is golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve hot, warm or at room temperature. Leftovers can be kept in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 76 Saturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 8mg Sodium: 297mg Carbohydrates: 3g Protein: 3g