Get the carrot cake flavours you love without all the hassle through these easy to make no bake energy bites! Blended up dates, walnuts, coconut, carrots and spices make for a healthy and wholesome snack you can grab in a pinch. | Gluten Free + Paleo + Vegan
Shout out to my favourite combo of dates and nuts for once again providing the foundation of yet another kick ass, no-bake snack bite. They make making treats like this feel almost a little too easy, ya know?
Before you make these carrot cake bliss balls – a few things to know:
Food processor or blender?
- In general, a food processor is preferable here.
- You need a high powered blender to make these work – something like a Blendtec, Vitamix or Ninja.
- If you use a blender you will likely need to stop and scrape down the sides a few times to ensure even blending.
Can I use another type of nut?
- Yes! Pecans work well in place of walnuts. You can even use a combination of the two.
- Cashews/Almonds will also work but change the overall taste of the snack balls much more. You might also need to change up the amount of dates/nuts. If your mixture feels too dry, add another date or two. If the mixture feels too sticky and is hard to roll then add more nuts.
Can I use another type of date?
- I don’t recommend it. Not all dates taste and feel the same. Medjool dates are perfect for no bake snacks like this because they’re large, naturally super sweet and soft which makes for easy blending. If you tried to use Deglet Noor dates then you would need to add more because they’re less sweet and smaller in size. These differences would likely mean that you’d need to change other parts of this recipe to make up for it.
What if my dates are dry?
- Cover the dates in boiling/hot water for 5-10 minutes to soften. Once softened enough, drain the water and they’re ready to use.
Is there a substitute for the coconut?
- If you have a coconut allergy/aversion to coconut you can use rolled/quick oats instead and skip rolling in coconut/oats at the end.
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try these Carrot Cake Bliss Balls! We love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
- 10 medjool dates, pits removed
- 2 cups walnuts
- 1 cup shredded or desiccated unsweetened coconut, divided
- 1/2 cup packed grated carrot (about 1 medium carrot with the excess water squeezed out)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- Add the dates and the nuts to a food processor or high powered blender. Blitz together until the dates and pecans are broken up into small pieces and come together. If your mixture is too dry add a couple more dates. You may need to stop to scrape the sides down occasionally.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the food processor/blender (add only 2/3 cup coconut) and pulse until everything is fully combined. You should end up with a crumbly looking mixture that sticks together when pressed.
- Add the remaining 1/3 coconut to a small, shallow bowl or plate.
- Scoop out heaping tablespoons worth of dough and roll into balls. Roll the balls in the coconut coating all sides.
- Store these in the fridge for up to a week.
- Pecans can be used in place of or in addition two (half walnuts/half pecans). You can also use cashews but the overall flavour will be much different)
- You can replace the shredded coconut with equal parts quick or rolled oats.