One pan Roasted Balsamic Rosemary Chicken & Squash – crispy chicken thighs coated in a simple, herby rosemary-mustard marinade and roasted alongside sliced squash and chopped shallots. Easy prep and minimal clean up make for maximum flavour in this healthy and hearty seasonal dinner! | Gluten Free + Paleo
✔️One totally delicious, seasonal and hearty dinner coming up!
Balsamic Rosemary Chicken & Squash Tips & Variations
- Use a very large baking sheet or casserole dish. Between the squash and the chicken there’s a lot going on here. Make sure to use either a baking sheet large enough to fit everything or roast everything in a large (9x13in) casserole dish.
- Salt & pepper the chicken again before roasting. Don’t be afraid to season your food well before cooking. Salt and freshly grated black pepper really make skin-on chicken thighs POP so don’t be afraid to be generous here.
- Switch up the squash. If you can’t get your hands on acorn squash feel free to use something else like pumpkin or butternut squash instead.
- Make this with boneless/skinless thighs. Keep in mind that your chicken won’t be crispy without the skin but you can certainly make this boneless and/or skinless. If using boneless thighs, let the squash and shallots cook for 15 minutes first then add the chicken to cook for another 20-25 minutes. This will let the squash cook fully without drying out the chicken.
- Lemony Feta and Sweet Potato Mash
- Creamy Mashed Cauliflower
- Sautéed Brussels Sprouts with Mustard & Hazelnuts
- Honey Mustard Quinoa Apple Salad with Crispy Shallots
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try this Roasted Balsamic Rosemary Chicken & Squash! We love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1/3 (80 ml) cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon (about 3 cloves) garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 6 bone-in/skin-on chicken thighs (about 2.5 lb or 1.25 kg)
- 1 acorn squash
- 5 shallots, cut into quarters
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C. Lightly grease a large baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the mustard, oil, vinegar, honey, garlic and rosemary until combined. Add the chicken, coat in the marinade and then set aside as you prep the squash and shallots.
- Cut the squash: cut the top and bottom of the squash off then cut in half length wise so that you have two equal sized pieces of squash. Scoop out the seeds on the inside then cut each half in 1 in wedges.
- Spread the sliced squash and quartered shallots out on the baking sheet in a single layer and sprinkle with paprika.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and place on the baking sheet on top of the squash and shallots. Sprinkle the chicken chicken and squash generously with salt and pepper then place in the oven and roast for 35-45 minutes (time will vary depending on the size of the the chicken) until the chicken is cooked through. The internal temp should read at least 165°/74°C. Serve hot and enjoy.
- Switch up the squash. If you can't get your hands on acorn squash feel free to use something else like pumpkin or butternut squash instead.
- Make this with boneless/skinless thighs. Keep in mind that your chicken won't be crispy without the skin but you can certainly make this boneless and/or skinless. If using boneless thighs, let the squash and shallots cook for 15 minutes first then add the chicken to cook for another 20-25 minutes. This will let the squash cook fully without drying out the chicken.