Simple ingredients, simple supper, big flavours! This Sausage, fennel and pepper roast is the perfect weekday meal for any busy household.
Maybe it’s because I grew up in a city that has never really experienced a true autumn day, but I get such a kick every time I step foot out side our house. The colors, the leaves, the chill – I love it all. I went for my first driving practice today since living in the UK and I had to keep reminding myself to focus on the roads and not the trees. Thankfully it didn’t take long to get the hang of things. The whole driving on the opposite side of the road thing wasn’t so difficult, though I still can’t get over how narrow English roads are. It’s like driving in a bike lane with two way traffic.
Even walking Stanley in the rain isn’t so bad when everything looks so beautiful and autumnal.
In weather like this all I want to do is sit down with a warm drink for my cool hands while wrapping up in an oversized sweater. While Mike will never tire of having the same chicken dinners night after night, I quite like to switch up our meals to align more with what’s in season. Also, I’m not going to lie, I get bored of chicken night after night. Though I’m more of a steak girl at heart, I can’t deny my love for all things pork.
Even greater than my love of pork is my love for simplicity which is why this sausage, fennel, and pepper roast has made its way into our weekly dinner rotation as of late. Minimal work + minimal clean up = life made. I’m on a constant quest to simplify all parts of my life – cooking being one of those areas. As much as I enjoy cooking and its many processes I also appreciate fast and simple meals that can be thrown together with little effort on my part. I am eternally thankful for olive oil and it’s ability to make just about any and all vegetables taste so much better with just a drizzle.
So here’s to beautiful fall days and simple, yet flavourful dinners that make them all the better.
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you this Sausage, Fennel and Pepper Roast! I love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 sausages, (Black Farmer is a great GF option if you live in the UK)
- 5-6 small potatoes cut in half**
- 1 fennel bulb cut into thick wedges
- 1 sweet red pepper deseeded and cut into slices
- 1 carrot cut into chunks
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
- 1 cup (250 ml) chicken stock
- parsley for topping
- Pour 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil into the roasting tin and place it in the middle of the oven as the oven heats up to 200°C/400°F
- Add the sausages and the potatoes to the roasting tin and gently toss in the oil before roasting another 10 minutes.
- After the ten minutes add the fennel, pepper, carrot, and garlic to the tin. Pour the remaining oil and the mustard over the top of the veggies. Stir it all up to coat everything in oil and mustard. Pour the chicken stock over the top and then place back in the oven to roast for another 30-35 minutes. MAke sure to turn the sausage about halfway through so it cooks evenly.
- Remove from the oven to cool for a few minutes. Top with torn parsley and enjoy.
*sub the small roasting potatoes for 1 sweet potato if you want to keep this strictly paleo
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 584 Saturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 95mg Sodium: 967mg Carbohydrates: 17g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 1g Protein: 24g