One bowl, easy to make homemade gluten free crackers! They’re light and buttery with just the right amount of salt. These are great to keep around when you quick snack! Gluten Free + Low FODMAP + Vegan Option
I think one of the worst things about gluten free living is how ridiculously expensive certified gluten free food can be – especially when it comes to snack food. I suppose the plus side is that the price is usually enough to keep from making too many unnecessary additions to my grocery bill.
Fortunately, making gluten free crackers from scratch isn’t actually that difficult or expensive. The next time a craving hits you can whip these up within the hour with your favourite dip without too much work!
How to Make Your Own Gluten-Free Crackers
Altogether, this makes for a very simple recipe with basic ingredients. At a glance you can break up the process into a few main parts:
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the cold butter followed by a little water (1/4 cup water total) until a soft dough forms. This can be done by hands or in a food processor.
- Chill the dough for a short time (about 10 minutes).
- Roll dough, cut crackers & bake on a large baking sheet until golden brown.
Roll the dough out in between two sheets of parchment paper. This will help keep the gluten free cracker dough from sticking to the rolling pin and make it easier for you to transfer the dough to the baking sheets.
Tips & Possible Substitutions
- You can use a dairy free/vegan butter in place of the dairy butter here. I don’t recommend using coconut oil.
- Any generic all purpose gluten free flour blend will work for these crackers including my homemade gluten-free flour blend.
- You can play around with these spices adding or omitting different ones you like. I like to include a little bit of paprika for colour but it’s not 100% necessary here.
- Interested in finding more simple gluten-free cracker recipes? If you’re looking for a grain free + vegan option you might find these sweet potato paleo crackers more suitable.
- Want cheesy crackers? Try these gluten free cheese crackers!
- Seedy cracks? Check out my Seedy Everything Seasoned Crackers!
These crackers are more on the soft and buttery side – kind of like a Ritz cracker. If you’re aiming for a crunchier cracker you can always roll these out to be a little thinner. Just make sure you watch the bake time as thinner crackers will cook faster.
When you’re all set with your homemade crackers are the perfect snack to enjoy along side your favourite dip! If you need a little dip inspo here are a few of my favourites:
- Roasted Fennel & Green Olive Tapenade
- Sriracha Lime Hummus
- Sun Dried Tomato White Bean Dip
- Cauliflower Pizza Dip
- Roasted Carrot Hummus
- Basil Avocado Dip
- Chipotle Mayo
- Creamy Homemade Hummus
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you make these Gluten Free Crackers! We love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
Gluten Free Crackers Recipe
One bowl, easy to make homemade gluten free crackers - perfect to keep around when you quick snack! Gluten Free + Low FODMAP + Vegan Option
- 1 cup | 140 grams gluten free all purpose flour blend
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika - optional, adds colour
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder - optional, leave out for low fodmap
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder - optional, leave out for low fodmap
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup | 56 grams butter, chilled and cut into small cubes (dairy free for vegan option)
- 1/4 cup | 60 ml water
- Whisk together all of the ingredients except for the butter and water together in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Cut in the cubed butter to the flour blend with a fork or pastry cutter and cut in into a sandy mixture. Add the water and mix until a soft dough forms. With your hands form into a round disc. Place back in the bowl, cover and place in the fridge for 10 minutes to let the butter chill.
- Preheat oven to 400°F/205°C. Line one large baking tray or 2 smaller trays with baking paper.
- Lay out a large sheet of parchment paper. Place the dough on top of the paper and then place another sheet of parchment paper over the top so that the dough is sat between two pieces of baking paper. Roll out the dough between the paper until it's 1/8 inch thick.
- Peel back the top piece of paper and cut the dough into 1 inch squares using a pizza cutter or sharp knife.
- Transfer dough to the prepared baking sheets. Leave a little bit of space between each square. Place in the middle of the oven and bake crackers 14-16 minutes until cooked. Let cool at least 5 minutes before moving from the tray and enjoy!
- For crispier crackers roll out the dough even thinner and reduce the cook time by 1-2 minutes.
- Any generic all purpose gluten free flour blend will work for these crackers including my homemade gluten free flour blend.
Leave a Review!