Mediterranean Chickpea Stew with Spinach & Feta – all made in one pan in under 20 minutes! Sautéed red onion and garlic with Mediterranean spices stewed with crushed tomatoes, chickpeas and spinach. | Gluten Free + Vegetarian
Coming at ya with another Meatleass Monday in the form of this Mediterranean Chickpea Stew with Spinach & Feta.
✔️All made in one pan
✔️Ready in about 20 minutes
✔️Packed full of protein, fibre and healthy carbs
I suppose ‘stew’ might not technically be the correct term here since this dish cooks up in such a small amount of time though the depth of flavour wouldn’t give it away.
At any rate, let’s get to it!
How to Make: Mediterranean Chickpea Stew with Spinach & Feta
Start out by sautéing the diced red onion in a little olive oil. Cook until soft, about five-ish minutes and then add the garlic and seasonings and the balsamic vinegar.
You don’t need too much to season here, just a little oregano, cayenne powder and ground cloves. Despite the addition of cayenne powder this dish isn’t spicy at all. It adds a very faint punch that’s not overly detectable. Feel free to kick up the spice a bit if you prefer things a little spicier or even omit it altogether if you’re extra sensitive to spice.
Cook that mixture for a minute or so and then add in the vegetable stock and the crushed tomatoes. Let that simmer and cook for about 5-10 minutes. In this time the tomato mixture will thicken and reduce down slightly. You can taste and season adding a little salt and pepper as needed.
Finally, just stir in the chickpeas, spinach and feta, cover and let cook another couple of minutes to heat the chickpeas through and wilt the spinach. Taste and season as needed one more time and that’s it!
This makes for a really quick and easy weeknight dinner that doesn’t require too many ingredients. It also makes for great leftovers that you can easily store and reheat as needed.
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try this Mediterranean Chickpea Stew with Spinach & Feta! We love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
Other Chickpea Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium red onions, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 15 ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable stock, aim for a low sodium stock
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 15 ounce cans chickpeas, drained
- 3 cups spinach , packed
- 6 ounces crumbled feta
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- red chili flakes, optional
- fresh parsley, optional
- Heat olive oil over a medium heat in a large skillet or sauce pot. Add the onions and sauté for 5 minutes to soften. Add the garlic, oregano, cayenne and cloves and cook another minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes, stock and vinegar. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat down to a simmer. Let cook 7-10 minutes to thicken the sauce - stir every so often.
- Stir in the chickpeas, spinach and feta. Cover and cook another 2-3 minutes. Season with salt as needed and garnish with red chili flakes and parsley and serve.
Store this in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 312Saturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 1412mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 9gSugar: 6gProtein: 15g