Easy, five ingredient Vegan Date Caramel made with simple, wholesome ingredients and prepped in no time at all! | Gluten Free + Paleo
The real MVP of many dessert and snack recipes here on A Saucy Kitchen thanks to it’s sweet and sticky goodness. Today we’ll be adding yet another reason to love love them with this super easy, vegan date caramel.
Let’s get to it!
How to Make: Date Caramel
Altogether this recipe requires only five ingredients and about five minutes of active prep time. Your ingredients are pretty simple and they’re probably things you already have in your pantry if you’re into healthy cooking and baking:
- medjool dates
- vanilla extract
- coconut milk (or another dairy free milk of your choosing)
- maple syrup
- sea salt
All you really need to do is throw everything in a powerful, high speed blender and blend until smooth for a minute or two.
Questions & Tips
What are medjool dates?
Medjool dates are a specific variety of dates. Despite how they might look they are a fresh fruit with a sweet, caramel-like flavour. They’re large, soft and moist which makes them great for eating on their own and baking with.
I do recommend using medjool dates for this caramel specifically because they are larger, sweeter and more moist than most other dates you might find in store which will make blending this so much easier.
Why do I need to soak them?
Ideally you want to use fresh dates here as they are naturally more moist. However it’s not a bad idea to soak them in boiling water for about 10 minutes just to soften them up. I also keep dates stocked but they’re usually dried up slightly by the time I get to them. Soaking makes them good as new which will in turn make them easier to blend.
What’s the texture like?
This date caramel is thick and silky, but it’s not necessarily going to be easy to drizzle like standard caramel. It works great as a dip or a spread.
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you this Date Caramel! I love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
- 12 medjool dates, pits removed
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, or another dairy free milk of your choice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add the dates to a heat proof bowl and cover with boiling water. Let sit for about 10 minutes to soften them up so that they blend easier.
- Drain the water. Add the dates to a high speed blender along with the remaining ingredients and blend on high until you have a thick, smooth caramel. You may need to stop the blender periodically to scrape down the sides.
- Feel free to add a little extra milk one tablespoon at a time to thin out the consistency if you'd prefer a silkier texture.
- Cover and refrigerate for up 1-2 weeks. Serve this over ice cream, crumble, lattes, or as a simple fruit dip.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 74 Saturated Fat: 1g Sodium: 74mg Carbohydrates: 15g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 13g